Brain battery"deep brain stimulation" ?
Brain battery is a treatment which tries to relieve the symptoms of the disease ,
by giving electrical currents to the specific areas of the brain that are responsible for the movement disorder.
Brain battery :Parkinson’s disease treatment:
- Parkinson’s disease is a long-term degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that mainly affects the motor system.
- The symptoms usually emerge slowly and, as the disease worsens, non-motor symptoms become more common.
- The most obvious early symptoms are tremor, rigidity, slowness of movement, and difficulty with walking.
- but cognitive and behavioral problems may also occur. Parkinson’s disease dementia becomes common in the advanced stages of the disease. Depression and anxiety are also common, occurring in more than a third of people with Parkinson Other symptoms include sensory, sleep, and emotional problems.
- The main motor symptoms are collectively called “parkinsonism”, or a “parkinsonian syndrome”.
- DBS “brain battery” is used to manage some of the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease that cannot be adequately controlled with medications.
- It is recommended for people who have Parkinson disease with motor fluctuations and tremor inadequately controlled by medication, or to those who are intolerant to medication, as long as they do not have severe neuropsychiatric problems.
Brain battery Epilepsy treatment:
- Epilepsy is a chronic noncommunicable disorder of the brain that affects people of all ages.
- Approximately 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, making it one of the most common neurological diseases globally.
- Epilepsy is a group of neurological disorders characterized by recurrent epileptic seizures. Epileptic seizures are episodes that can vary from brief and nearly undetectable periods to long periods of vigorous shaking.
- People with epilepsy respond to treatment approximately 70% of the time.
- DBS therapy aims to control excess electrical activity in the brain using regular electrical impulses to reduce the frequency and severity of seizures. Trials show that for some people their seizures become much less frequent. For others DBS therapy will reduce their seizures.